Currently Offering Online Counseling Only
At Wilcrest Counseling Services, Dr. Marion Zahn is committed to helping her clients experience greater fulfillment within themselves and their relationships with others through individual and couples therapy.
“Therapy is a process that, for many people and under certain conditions, can be a transformative one.” –Marion Zahn, Ph.D.
Dr. Zahn holds a Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology from Texas A&M University, where she has served as Visiting Assistant Professor. She has over 15 years of clinical experience in a variety of settings, including private practice, multidisciplinary healthcare clinics, universities, and community mental health centers.
She completed her internship at Appalachian State University Counseling Center, with an emphasis in mind-body wellness and mindfulness-based approaches to psychotherapy for the treatment of depression, anxiety, and past trauma. She has received additional training in biofeedback, neurofeedback, attachment in psychotherapy, multicultural counseling, and yoga for depression and anxiety.
Dr. Zahn is a Past President of the Biofeedback Society of Texas. In addition to her private practice, she is a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) and the Associate Director of UTHealth Student Counseling Services.
As a clinician, she tailors her therapeutic approach to her client’s particular concerns and needs, taking into account her client’s life circumstances, developmental stage, cultural influences, and the contexts in which her client exists.
In her spare time, she enjoys swimming, practicing and teaching yoga and meditation, spending time with her family and friends, exploring diverse destinations and cultures, and sampling different cuisines.
Trained under the scientist-practitioner model, Dr. Zahn uses mindfulness/mind-body, emotion-focused, and cognitive-behavioral approaches as primary guides. She believes that therapy is a process that, for many people and under certain conditions, can be a transformative one. To help her clients activate their natural human tendencies toward growth, she focuses on building and maintaining a strong therapeutic relationship, where her clients can feel free to be with and explore their experiences with a sense of curiosity, compassion, openness, and acceptance.
In this exploratory process, Dr. Zahn can help you:
- Work toward experiencing greater fulfillment in your life and relationships with others
- Cultivate an increased sense of attunement with yourself and being with your present experiences
- Develop your emotional intelligence and enhance your ability to tolerate and manage negative feelings and experiences
- Make space for greater feelings of connectedness with others
- Bring awareness to your patterns of relating with yourself and others, examine them, and take action toward consciously changing parts of the patterns that are not working
Areas of Clinical Interest
Dr. Zahn has particular interest and experience in working with adults (ages 18 and older) with concerns related to:
- Relationships (marital, pre-marital, family, social, occupational)
- Burnout and Compassion Fatigue among Healthcare Workers
- Life Transitions
- Chronic Illness
- Existential Crises
- Career/Work-Life Balance
- Achieving Personal/Professional Goals
- Member, American Psychological Association (APA)
- Member, Texas Psychological Association (TPA)
- Member, Houston Psychological Association (HPA)
- Past President, Biofeedback Society of Texas (BST)
For more information or to schedule a free phone consultation, contact us at (713) 975-1222.